Monday, November 06, 2006

To Mary, Love Wendy

Mary asked for a list of my favorites. I can't tell my McSista no, so I'll answer over here:

Favorite/most helpful parenting book: sleep/naps, toddlers, babies, discipline, whatever.
I really enjoy reading parenting books. I check out a new one almost every time I go to the library. But my favorite is still Children the Challenge. It was presented at a Homemaking meeting back when Hannah was a baby, and I went out and bought it that week. I consult it regularly.

In my library wanderings I recently found the Love and Logic parenting books. They are great! Very practical and real and similar to my fav. Nathan and I have laughed along with their CD's and have made some real changes in our home. I haven't read the one geared toward toddlers yet, Mary, but I am hoping to find it this afternoon.

Best place to get toddler shoes that are affordable but sturdy.
I prefer to buy cheaper shoes, because I have found that they all wear out and get ugly, and I don't want to feel guilty about buying a few pairs. The girls always have so many shoes that they don't really wear out and have been passed down and well worn. Salt-water sandals have held up the best of any, though they are not cheap if you don't have a Fred Meyer around.

John is very picky about his shoes, so he only has 2 pairs, and he won't wear one of them. We decided to check out Payless this fall and found cute shoes for everyone there. (But I did have to wrench the pair of flashing "Cars" shoes out of John's hand so we could leave the store with him crying all the way to the car.) They are holding up just fine.

I also like using the Sears Kidvantage program for returning worn out shoes for a new pair of the same size. This has worked well for Sydney, who is very hard on her tennis shoes.

Favorite shoes you wear (besides tennis shoes).
I have a pair of brown leather sandals that I love. They have about a 2 inch wedge so I feel very tall in them. They look good with a skirt or with jeans. They are comfortable and cute and they hide my weird little toe.

Favorite book you've read lately.
I recently read Persuasion by Jane Austen for our ward book club, which I am hosting this month (I hope someone comes). Oh, the letter! It has made me think about commitment and honor during courtship and how times have changed. More about that another time. I also enjoyed reading about Afganistan in Sewing Circles of Herat. Eye opening.

Favorite dinner recipe.
Cheezy Potato Soup. We had it last night. Delish.

6 potatoes pealed and diced
1 carrot cut into coins
1 celery stalk, diced
onion
chicken broth (or bullion)
heavy whipping cream
cheese (I use American, but cheddar is good, too)

Boil veggies in broth for about a half hour or until the potatoes start to mush. Pour in a bit of cream, and add in some cheese slices, stirring until melted. Serve with crusty sourdough bread. Yum.

Favorite movie you've seen lately.
We cancelled our movie membership a couple weeks ago, so I feel like I haven't seen anything lately. But I have been going to bed earlier, so that is good. We had a family movie night/slumber party on Friday and watched Ever After. That is a cute one.

Favorite LOST character.
Jack

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your answers Wendy! So much to respond to. I have Love and Logic waiting for me at the library, so I need to go pick that up today, I hope it is still there. I will try to get the Children the Challenge too. Sounds great.

Shoes, oh how I love Salt Waters. My last pair was borrowed and then lost by Erin, but I love Erin more than the shoes so she didn't suffer an early death. WE'll probably head to Payless and Target to check out their shoes for Lindsey soon. I'm glad to know about the Kidvantage thing as Lindsey is a very slow grower and wears things out in the process. Very cool.

I made your cheesy potato soup last night! It was loved by all. I added some bacon that I cooked and crumbled into it at the end. I am also an onion whimp like mom, so I used green onions instead.

As for LOST, when I wrote my post, I had just watched the last episode (we had to download it since I was out of the house) and was mourning Echo, who I am so intrigued by. But, you've got to love Jack. Good picture! He's much better on this than his Party of Five days!

Suzanne said...

It was fun to hear your responses!

Jack is one of my favorite characters on LOST too, but I think Kate is probably my very favorite. Although...if she does what I think she's going to do on Wed., she might not be my favorite anymore. I think she should be with Jack! :)

wendy said...

Mary, mmmm bacon. Always a good addition to potato soup! I've never saw Party of Five, so I just like Jack for who he really is.

Suzanne, I saw the preview for lost last night. What! The Sawyer/Jack/Kate thing has been keeping the show interesting, but I want Kate to be with Jack not Sawyer.

I can't believe I am so addicted to this show that I am discussing it like a soap opera. We have season one on DVD, anyone wanna borrow it?

Suzanne said...

Ooh...can I borrow Season One!?! J.K. I am obsessed with LOST too. I think my friends/family are growing a little weary of hearing me talk about it...but it's soooo good!

Can I play this favorites game too? It looks like fun! :)

Deanne said...

Sure.......I'll borrow your season one! Actually I've been thinking of getting them through our blockbuster online account. I hear so much about Lost that I feel 'lost' myself with not being a part of it! : )

D

wendy said...

Deanne - it is way more fun to watch all the way through, then to have to wait each week for a new show, or get stuck watching a rerun.

Suzanne - you should play - I would love to read your answers, and I'm sure Mary would love that!

Amanda said...

Very interesting information! Your soup sounds yummy!

I like Jack too. I guess he is my favorite. I like Kate a lot too and was hoping for them to get together. I am starting to like Sawyer a little more this season. But still would rather see Kate and Jack together.

I still haven't seen the first few episodes of season two. I keep thinking I'll rent them but keep forgetting.

Anonymous said...

hehe, Wendy, you said, "I've never saw Party of Five..."

You are S-M-R-T!

wendy said...

Ha, ha, ha! I love how you can't edit the comments. I never saw or I've never seen or what ever. You know whta eye meeen.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I watched part of season one of Lost, was pregnant at the time, and had a hard time sleeping after it. (I'm a wimp) I have caught a few shows here and there, but I think I need to get on the waiting list for your season 1.

I made Chicken Corn Chowder today, had the crockpot all programed so it would be ready after work, and the power went out for a bit, and turned off my crockpot. (those nice programable ones look, but may not be the best choice) Dinner was ready at 8pm tho.

Wendy and Mary you guys are Crasy!
Heather