Saturday, November 11, 2006

Saturday is Special Day



We had a few extra kids here for the day. My 4 + 5 borrowed kids = 9 children! I had one 18 month old, one 3 year old, one 4 year old, two 5 year olds, one 7 year old, two 8 year olds, and one 12 year old. Thank goodness for that 12 year old - I would never have gotten a shower if Hannah hadn't been here to keep an eye on the cutest little 18 month old around.

I was worried that the kids would get bored and make big messes and I didn't want the TV on all day, so I arranged our day like Super Nanny and had a plan. Indoor playtime until 10am, Outside until lunch (or until your toes start to freeze), Quiet Time, Craft time, Outside until dark, Dinner! I think it worked out really well; we had just a few tears (mostly about snow down shirts), but no blood or big arguments or big messes.



I set out different toys in different areas so that every toy wouldn't be crammed into one bedroom creating chaos and war. The biggest hit was the Puppet Show. My sister Mary made the puppet stage for us a few years ago. Thanks Mary! The big kids used it first and made posters to announce their big production, set out chairs for an audience, and collected pennies for tickets. So cute!



It takes a lot of time to get 8 kids bundled up and ready to play in the snow. By the time I started putting mittens on the last one, the first ones out were trying to come back in. Waaa!

We came in for hot cocoa and lunch, then the baby and I both had a nap (a few minutes of shut-eye for me was very refreshing.) But by about 4pm everyone seemed to be heading toward a breakdown, including me. So we cleaned up the painting and playdough and headed back outside. Ah, fresh air! It really clears your head and calms the nerves. Just the thing to get us through 'til dinner.

Pizza Deliver is a true blessing. Otherwise we would have been lucky if we had some broth without any bread.

It was a fun, fun day. Fun and exhausting. Our friends have gone home, my little ones smell like strawberry shampoo, and the lights are out. Good Night!

10 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I'll bet your tired!
Good planning, little mama!

Donna Boucher said...

oops...
you're

Amanda said...

Sounds like a fun/crazy day! You are such a fun mom. I feel bad taking Hannah away after your long day.

I hope your car battery is okay tomorrow morning.

Deanne said...

Whoa! My thoughts......you are crazy, woman! I'm glad to hear that all went well. Did you earn some free babysitting points from friends for this? What a good friend you are! Sleep well tonight, you earned it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of kids under the age of 12. I also think you should earn some points toward free babysitting from their parents before you move. Very smart to schedule the day.

I didn't know you still had the puppet show thing! I feel so proud! That was a project done on Grandma McB's old, jam-prone Singer that just about made me a crazy woman. Glad it can still be put to use.

Lana said...

oh my gosh, look at that snow.
Sounds like a fun day. Good job on the planning.

Our dinner groups meet once a month. I coordinate it. We started last year and this year everyone wanted to do it again. I don't know if I'll do it next year, although the actaul day turns out nice it's a logistical nightmare!

I send out a sign up sheet in Aug. Then after a couple weeks my partner in coordination chaos and I make some phone calls. Both years we've ended up with about 20-25 couples. Not all the same ones but many. Then we meet once a month until everyone hosts and we end it with a big pot luck dinner on the last month.

The idea was that you would have dinner with everyone else by rotating around. The reality is that doesn't work out but we try and have it really random.

Our groups are 4 or 5 couples per home. If you host you do it all, dinner game whatever. The other months you bring $5 for the hosts. (some people like that others hate it)

4 couples is ideal, unfortuanly we often have no shows so 5 is safer.

It's very fun, a lot of work, a little annoying at times, but generally appriciated by all.

Millie said...

What a good, good idea for keeping all those kids occupied. I should do that with my little ones and see if we can limit the TV & playstation time.

Suzanne said...

Wow! 9 kids? I think you're officially Super Woman! :)

Anonymous said...

You do a GREAT job with your little family Wendy !! We are proud of you !! That dang Nate,,, he is gone SOOOOOOOO much of the time !

wendy said...

What? Is that a comment from Nathan's dad? Hi!