Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Look at Me! I did it!

This may come as a surprise to you, but I am not a computer genius. Seriously. I just spent 5 hours trying to make a CD for Hannah. She has been working on a slideshow for Young Women in Excellence, which is tonight. She has edited pictures, put them in order, chosen transions and music, and typed in captions. She and Nathan were supposed to finish it up together, but for some reason they didn't get it done. Waaaaa.

Last night Hannah finished up the final touches on her slideshow, and at about 10 o'clock, I sent Hannah to bed and told her I would burn the CD. I have never burned a CD. I have never even worked with the photo program she was using. But I jumped right in.

I tried saving. I read Help. I thought I had it, and put a blank CD in and let the computer do its thing. After like an hour of watching election coverage on TV, I took the disk out and put it back in to see if I could open the slideshow. Failure. No slideshow. Just some program files.

So I read Help again. Chose a different format. Inserted another CD. And sat back on the couch with a good book while the computer whirred and flashed. But once again - failure. Nothing. So I asked myself a few questions: What did I do wrong? What happened to the good old days of slide projectors and little square photo thingy's? Why was I trying to do this at 1am?

I went to bed.

This morning I read Help again. And something clicked. I saved the slideshow in a different file. I was able to watch the slideshow on the computer using Real Player. It looked promising. And I noticed that there was a Burn CD option. I read everything instead of randomly trying different buttons. I followed the directions. I clicked GO.

And it worked. I ejected the CD. I put the CD back in, and the slideshow was still there! The music is there - and it ends right on time. The transitions work beautifully. Even the silly video of Hannah is there. Amazing. It brought a little tear to my eye. I may not be a computer genius, but I did it!

I wonder if I can count those 5 hours toward a YW Value Project.


ps - today's run = 4 miles. yesterday 2. monday 3. 59 miles to go.

9 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

You are a good mommy! And a computer Whiz!

My husband says a lot of computer learning is trial and error!

Deanne said...

Most impressive!! Tell you what, you teach me how to burn a cd then I'll teach you how to cut hair! :) hee hee

D

Millie said...

Marvelous! I've never burned a CD either. I leave that to No Cool Story, the technological whiz kid.

I had a teacher in high school tell us that it's better to study for tests in the morning when you're fresh, instead of cramming all night long ... you'll remember more. Do you think it helped that you got some sleep? :)

Suzanne said...

Computer stuff can be so confusing. You're so great to keep trying! I'll get there too...eventually!

I hope things go well at your YW in Excellence tonight and that you get home in time for you know what! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job Wendy! I leave that kind of stuff to Randy, but then I have to remind him to do it a million times. He offers to teach me so I can just do it myself...it's a vicious cycle.

I still need to burn and send out the dvds from the McB reunion 2 summers ago. Dang!

I'm totally impressed with you!

Lana said...

good for you!! I have never burned a CD, but I know the happy feeling that comes when I figure out anything on the computer!

Batya said...

I'm impressed!
I used to wait until my baby was home to do that sort of thing with simple pictures; then he went abroad and I had no choice but to take the plunge.

Amanda said...

Way to go!! I bet it was so cute! How fun!

Way to go with the running. You are doing great!

Super Happy Girl said...

Technological whiz kid = nerd

Way to go figuring it out, most people just give up, how does anyone learn but by trying? It's like me and cooking...oh wait.

I'd like to run, I 'm going to start one of this days.
GO YOU!!