Saturday, January 19, 2008

Where's Your Helmet?

Here is Sydney. Smile Sydney, I want to get a picture of you on your wave board!



Sydney got a wave board for Christmas. It is basically a skateboard with just two wobbly wheels. These were the big gift in our neighborhood this year. I have seen no fewer than 30 in just our little area of the base.

These may not have been a popular Christmas gift where you are, because they are best used without snow, but I can promise you will be seeing them in your neighborhood this summer.

Sydney will demonstrate how it works:


You kind of push off, get your balance, then wiggle your back foot to go faster or go up hills. Sydney is extra good at this. I can say that with authority because #1 I have seen all the neighbor kids on these, and Sydney puts them all to shame. and #2 I know from personal experience it is harder than she makes it look. She is light and quick!

Notice the bare feet? The helmet is manditory, but slipah's are optional. Sydney says she has better control without the shoes getting in the way.

She is not afraid of going fast and can go up driveways and off curbs. She can also swoop in a perfect circle. Even more importantly - she knows how to stop! Did I mention Sydney is really coordinated and not afraid of anything?



She's trying to teach me how, but whenever I crash she gives me this look:



Great!

18 comments:

Deanne said...

What, no pics of Wave Board Wendy?? :) Seriously though, that's a pretty nifty ride Sydney's got there! I'm impressed that not only can she ride it, and do it well, but that she does it bare foot! Way to go Sydney, you rock!

Susan said...

I tried one a few weeks ago... I agree, not as easy as it looks, the bruise on my rear can attest to that!

Mary said...

That looks so fun - Syd is such a pro! But seeing those pictures of her riding the waveboard sans socks makes me feel nervous and ready to break out the bandaids!! Careful there fearless girl.

Anonymous said...

We have seen quite a few of these on our street since Christmas, we even saw one of the dads trying it out. I would be too chicken to actually try it, it looks like a broken bone waiting to happen, at least for me.

Super Happy Girl said...

I have seen those and I always wonder how anyone can use those. Ah, the wonderful world of youth. Way to go Sydney.

Falling = broken hip at our age ;)

Lana said...

way that looks fun and dangerous. I haven't seen any around here..yet :)

The Mrs. said...

lovely pictures! That looks very complicated.... I'm feeling a "we didnt have those things back in my day" moment coming on!

Tori :) said...

OOH looks like so much fun. I'll have to get me, er, the kids one!

Keri said...

Ok- sooooo jealous! I WISH we had nice enough weather right now to get outside on one of those things! You're making me want to get stationed in Hawaii! Like right now! (well, except for the spiders. that picture you sent me almost cured me of ever wanting to step foot on the island! ha)

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I'll be back to check in here. I always enjoy meeting new military families!

Homemom3 said...

looks like fun, I could never do this. My son wanted one this year, he might get one for his birthday.

Amanda said...

Sydney is so cool! :) That looks like so much fun. I agree with NCS though. I would probably permanently damage myself on one of those things. Sometimes it is no fun getting old....

Ms. Boedee said...

Hi Wendy! I got your blog through Amanda's blog who got my blog through Mary's blog..Does that make sense?!! :) Good to see you! I look forward to reading your blog. I think of you guys often! Have a great day!

Gina said...

Those things are so rad! We saw how they worked while Christmas shopping this year... made me want one so bad, so see how little of a space you can work them in too. I'd ride around the house on mine (some day).

Very cute photos! She is looking great out there!

wendy said...

Hi Boedee - how fun! I didn't know you had a blog!

Gina - Sydney can ride on the sidewalk without crashing into the road, but I think riding it through the house might be a little too tight...

Amanda said...

Yay for Boedee finding your blog. We should start a Rapid City 3rd ward bloggers club. ;) Here is Mary's blog. Oh, and the Stewarts blog. I hope all my linkies worked.

Mary Peterson said...

Hi Wendy! These look so cool! I guess since I'm one of your friends who live where there is snow, I won't be seeing them until summer. I found your blog through Boedee and Amanda. I hope you don't mind me taking a "peek" at your family from time to time. I finally started a blog too. If you'd like to check it out go to: www.jmpeterson.blogspot.com. I'm still pretty new at it.

Donna Boucher said...

What adorable pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sydney,

You made me smile so much my eyes misted up! I miss you. Be careful on your wave.

Love,
Dad