Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

Happy New Year from Hawaii!

We started off our New Years festivities with a fondue part-ay. Strawberries in melted chocolate...Mmmmm!

Then we played some games.

I totally recommend Uno Attack for your next family party. We all enjoyed it -
from Hannah (13) all the way down to John (4 years old). John was able to understand which cards to play and he was absolutely thrilled when the machine gave him more cards! Hannah and Sydney and Emily were shrewed players and tough to beat. Emily was not so thrilled when 8 extra cards were spit her way.

After playing Uno for an hour and a half, we went over to our neighbors' house for some Karaoke. Fun! (Thanks Jay and Val) Nathan, you would have totally loved that - little Tina has a great voice, me not so much...

As we left their house we stopped to watch some fireworks in our cul-de-sac. New Years in Hawaii is all about fireworks. There are more fireworks tonight than on the 4th of July!



There were fireworks stands all over town, but it didn't occur to me to pick up any as I'm pretty sure they're illegal on post. Our next-door neighbors had tons of fireworks, though. They were lighting them off for over an hour, It was fun to watch, but kind of a bummer for our kids who wanted to play, too. next year... One screaming flower came right at us and ripped a branch off of our small palm tree. Take cover!

We finished off the night with another round of Uno and a movie. All of the kids were still awake to welcome the New Year.

It is a little odd to celebrate the holidays in 75 degree weather, but I'm not complainin'.

I hope your New Year is Happy!

**Updated to add that now it is 10:53am (according to the computer, but my watch says it is 10:46am and my watch never lies) on New Years Day and the kids are still sleeping! Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

Feliz Happy New Year!!

That sounds so fun. Fireworks are not allowed in our area on NYE, but last night you'd have thought that was not the case.

Deanne said...

Ooooo....sounds like a great start to your new year (kids sleeping in....great!) :)

Happy New Year Wendy!!!

Butterfly Wife said...

Happy New Year to you and your family. Sounds like you had a good time. Uno Attack is fun for kids of all ages, just have to be a kid. :D

.... said...

Sounds like a great day and night! I love Uno Attack, although I end up with a bazillion cards.... :D

The fire was great, we did not burn down the housing area, although by the size of the fire, you would have thought that was the intention!

Thanks for the get well wishes....I'm still nursing it with soup, but I'm feeling a bit better and ready to attack the remaining Christmas decorations tomorrow....UGH!

Happy New Year!

The Mrs. said...

75 degrees on New Years!? Thats certainly the way to celebrate it!!


Happy New years to you and your kiddos! Hope you all have a blessed filled year!

Bon said...

{{{{Hi!}}}} Thanks for stopping by, I just read your blog and love it. I'm sure I'm not alone, but having someone else talk about the crabbiness and craziness sure does help to relieve the guilt and strain. You are in my prayers. Hubby leaves (maybe) Sunday. We haven't heard a word from the reserve unit on Guam, but this is the Army. I'm linking to you!