Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cough, cough, sniff...

I think I'm getting sick.

My throat is sore.

I have a cough.

My nose is a little sniffly.

I think my head hurts, but maybe I'm just really tired.

Do you think it's still okay to run in the morning? I don't have a fever or anything...

And that reminded me of this:



Sick
by Shel Silverstein


"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

11 comments:

Lemon Stand said...

Wendy - I hope you feel better soon! (and I just LOVE that poem!)

Ellen said...

I love that poem too, reminds me of being a kid. I think I would just rest instead of run for today. Give yourself a little break

The Mrs. said...

Start sucking down the cold meds now. Both the boys had a nasty nasty cold which has so far lasted ten days and now its spread... to me. So if yours is like ours, start resting up now. Hope you feel better soon!

Love the poem!

Deanne said...

Have you tried that Zycam yet? It's suppose to help cut down the duration of a cold, if taken at the first signs of a cold.

That's one of my favorite poems! The kids love it when we read poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends (it's always been one of my favorite books).

Ann M. said...

Take care of yourself and hopefully it won't be so bad!

I loved this poem as a kid. Thanks for sharing it :)

Mary said...

Hey, I hope you feel better soon! We made sure to all take Vitamin C before our trip when we were feeling colds coming on and I really think it helped.

The Shell Silverstein poem reminds me of our childhood. I love that one!

Super Happy Girl said...

I love Silverstein :)
Hope you feel better. Rest and take it easy.

nikko said...

Cute poem. We love Shel Silverstein. Hope you feel better soon.

Amanda said...

I love that poem. Jordan has it as part of his poetry collection that he is supposed to read at home.

Sorry you are not feeling well. I say run if you want to, but maybe taking it easy would be good for you too. I hope you feel better soon!

Jrzy Army Wife said...

I love Shel Silverstein. The giving tree was my FAVE book as a kid. Hope you feel better.

Lindsay Gray said...

Me too! Me too! Love Shel Silverstein! I still have the poem "Sister for Sale" memorized!

I had a lot of free time as a child...