John is 4. He will be 5 years old on August 31st. School starts August 1st in Hawaii, but the kindergarten cut off is in like December or something.
Since he was a baby I have planned to keep him home from school the year he turns five. Here's why:
- we lived in South Dakota and will be moving back there in a year or two. South Dakota's Kindergarten cut off date is the first day of school, so some years he would not make the date.
- he's kind of small for his age.
- and other stuff, like sometimes writing is harder for little boys, and older boys do better in sports in high school and stuff like that that I've read and friends have told me.
- our friend from SD turned five a few days after the K cut off. She stayed home one more year and when she finally started school she was SOOOOOO ready!
- K here is full day. I'm not sure if I love full day.
- I like hanging out with John. We are buddies.
Now that he'e nearly five, I'm not so sure any more. Here are some reasons to send him to K in the fall.
- I think he needs to be in real school. I've enjoyed the neighborhood swap this year, but I think he needs more structure.
- The elementary school offers a young class for K4.
- I would have more time to volunteer and get my eyebrows waxed.
- John's buddy "Max" will start school in the fall and they are just the same age.
- Kindergarten at the school is free. Preschool is not free.
- He would be going to the same school as his sisters.
This is something I have been asking everyone about. Today, my sister Mary asked a similar question about her daughter Lindsey and preschool. (I hope you don't mind that I'm totally copying you, Mary!) You must go see Lindsey all dressed up for school. She is so cute! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one wondering about the fall, even though winter term just started.
What is best?
Some people say it's easy to treat your youngest like a baby - it's not a bad thing to let him grow up.
Some people say they kept their son home another year and they are so glad.
Some say they wish they had kept their son home another year.
Some say they sent their son early and he's doing great....
What do you say?
*don't forget to enter to win a Free Book! Last Chance!