Sunday, October 17, 2004

A Bit of a Flop

It all started at 7:45am when a teacher called to say that she wasn't going to be able to make it to teach her class. That phone call set me back about five minutes, and the roast didn't make it into the crockpot. On the way to church I remembered that my friend was coming to dinner, so I decided to make stuffed shells, breadsticks, and favorite salad. Kind of a light dinner, but the breadsticks make any meal special.

I started the breadsticks at about 3:30pm. Emily is always ready to help with any baking project, so I did the measuring, she did the pouring. Shells boiled, stuffed, and into bake by 4:00pm. Breadsticks in to bake at 4:20pm. Shells bubbly and done at 4:30pm, breadsticks should have been finished shortly after, for a perfectly timed dinner.

But they were not finished and looking a bit flat. I set the timer, my friend arrived, and she helped finish the salad. By about 4:45pm I realized there was a problem with the bread. It did not rise. I gave up and took it out of the oven. It appeared to be spicey unleavened bread. Sydney said it was good and ate a few of the flat, cracker-like pieces.

Looking back I can see that I forgot the yeast. How did that happen? I have been making these breadsticks almost weekly for about 8 years. I don't think they have ever failed me before. I did have some French bread in the cupboard, so all was not lost, and it was fun to have company anyway. The kids did their best to entertain and amaze our guest.

Here's the recipe, if you want to try it sometime. (You McB sisters may have had these before.) They are yummy and quick and (usually) very easy. It takes about an hour from start to finish.

Quick and Easy Breadsticks (a.k.a. Spice Girl Bread)
1 pkg yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
-mix together and set aside to rise for 10 min. then add the following and knead well
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups flour (more or less)
-Roll out to 1/2" thickness (like pizza) Melt 1 cube butter, pour about half of the melted butter into an 11"x16" jelly roll pan. Set the dough in the pan on the butter, then spread the remaining butter on the dough. Sprinkle with garlic powder, parmesean cheese (the kind that comes in a can,) and Italian seasoning. Cut into strips, then into 3" pieces (a pizza cutter works the best.) Let rise 1/2 hour, and bake 400 F for about 15 minutes.

Good Luck!

1 comment:

wendy said...

I have made them with whole wheat and they are still good. I prefer about half whole and half white wheat. Try it and let me know how they turn out.