Monday, October 30, 2006

Do you dare?

Today, John and I are reading scary stories to help get us in the mood for Halloween. Here is a list of our favorites:


Our favorite-est scary book is the Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree. While looking for this image I found that there used to be a Spooky Old Tree boardgame, and now, for just $19.99, you can have your very own Spooky Old Tree Gameboy Game! This was my sister Sarah's favorite book when she was about 2 years old. I remember mom reading it over and over. It was the very first book that I bought for Hannah when she was a baby, and she and Nathan loved to read it together. Hannah would answer each question (Do they dare go in that spooky old tree?) with a very serious "I Do!"


The Monster at the End of this Book is another good one. Did you know that when you turn a page, you not only get us closer to the monster at the end of this book, but you also make a terrible mess?

Miss Nelson is such a great teacher and role model for me. Somedays I dig in the back of my closet to find my ugly black dress and tell my kids "If you misbehave, you'll be sorry."


The Old Black Witch is one of my childhood favorites. I couldn't remember the name of it for the longest time, but my sister Heather helped me find it a year or so ago. The Old Black Witch makes the best blueberry pancakes in town! And that assures that she isn't kicked out of the house she haunts, and that the new owners' Jug and Muffin Tearoom makes enough money to stay there too. The Old Witch stars in a couple more books: Old Witch and the Polka-dot Ribbon and Old Witch Rescues Halloween. These books are out of print, but I was thrilled to find that our library has one of them, and it is on shelf! You can listen to a recording of Old Witch Rescues Halloween here! Ratch-a-Fratch!

I hope you have a chance to visit old haunts, and after a scream or two, you make your way... Home Again, Safe at Last!

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ooh...I loved the Spooky Old Tree when I was growing up. We had many Berentstain Bears books and that was one of my favorites.

I'll have to check out your other books. They look fun for kids! :)

Super Happy Girl said...

I confess: I do not dare.
'Spooky Old Tree' looks interesting, I shall read it.

That link to "Scar Stuff" is excellent!

Millie said...

Hey, I always wanted to read "The Monster At the End of This Book" and never got around to it. It always looked interesting.

Or maybe I did and don't remember. Either way - I shall seek it out.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, we read the Old Black Witch last night. We love it! I'll have to look for the rest of the series. A couple o months ago we tried the pancake recipe, not as great as I remember. We also love the Spooky Old Tree, need to find a new copy, ours is beyond repair.
Heather

Anonymous said...

OH HOW COOL!!! Thanks for the tip on the gameboy game! My husband wants to buy the girls their own gameboys for Christmas because we're taking lots of long trips now, and although we do lots of discussing and stuff, he thought it would be nice to get them something entertaining for the road. :)

Anonymous said...

"Up the ladder, through the floor, down the slide and out the door..."

Or something like that. I love Spooky Old Tree. One we need to add to our collection. In fact, I love all those books! Fun reading.

Laurie said...

LOVE all those books. Can't wait to share them with Katie.

By the way, I am one of the sistas who can't snort my upper lip like you and Mary can. I suppose that makes me a freak.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, maybe that makes you a non-freak...hmmm

Amanda said...

I loved the Monster at the end of this book as a kid. I saw it last year at Wal-mart and had to buy it. I am not real familiar with the other books you mentioned, but they sound good. I am afraid poor Jordan would not be able to handle it though. He gets so easily scared.