Monday, January 17, 2005

Girl Stuff

This is going to be about birth control, so it that makes you blush go aheah and stop reading (Dad).

It is time for me to learn how to not get pregnant. We love all these little cuties around here, but it is not time to have another one. I am a birth control drop-out and I just don't know all that much about it, so I have been working to educate myself. For a little gyn history I will tell you that the only prescription birth control I have ever been on is DepoProvera (a hormonal shot) I had two shots when Hannah was a wee babe (10 years ago) and I hated it. Hannah was 3 years old before my cycle returned. Since then I have relied mainly on breastfeeding and luck. My cycle recently returned (still breastfeeding John, but apparently not enough) just in time for Nathan to come home (do you think my ovaries knew he was returning.) Danger!

So the question is how do grown ups make-out without worry? We are young and not interested in permanent solutions. I am also not terribly interested in the pill or other hormone prescriptions - I am crazy/moody enough already. IUD/diaphram = yucka.

I checked out a book called Taking Charge of you Fertility by Toni Weschler. It is very fascinating. She really explains how your cycle works and how to chart your fertility/ovulation. She makes "Aunt Flow" a much less mysterious visitor. I may buy this book for my sister who is hoping to have a baby. I think it would be really great for her, as she has been on the pill forever, and keeping track would help her know if she is actually ovulating. Though it seems scary to me, I have a feeling that all the temperature taking/cervical fluid checking is way more helpful and foolproof when you are trying to conceive. Maybe I just don't have enough faith in myself. Her system of recording your temps, etc is very similar to Natural Family Planning (which I know nothing about.) The difference (I think) is that Toni recommends using birth control when you show signs of fertility while NFP recommends abstaining.

So, now I'm back to the main question. Is everyone out there on the pill? Do most people just live on faith that whatever happens is for a good reason? IS 4 kids a big family? It seems big to me when we all go to the store together, but sometimes it seems average or small. When we just had one little one, we had several friends with 4 kids. The ladies would all talk about being "done" and it surprised me. Four children did not seem to be all that many. Now I am where they were, and I can see what they meant. (I was so judgmental when Hannah was little. I remember one friend whose microwave as always crusty and gross. How could she let it get that bad? Today I opened the microwave to heat up some water for instant oatmeal, and I noticed that my microwave had stalactites and stalagmite growing. Whoops. Science project!)

Any advice is appreciated, though not required.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...seems as though a few of us sistas have had this conversation before. I, for one, am also not a fan of BC, probably because getting pregnant was a 3 1/2 year and a few thousand dollar adventure for us. That said, I'll probably end up the girl with "Irish Twins" at some point and I'll be chomping at the bit for a pack of pills. I think the Taking Care of Your Fertility book is a GREAT start for preventing and trying for pregnancy - though the temperature charts were very intimidating to me. It seems like the aim of the book is to help heighten your awareness of your body's workings. I hope our unnamed sister who is wanting to concieve is successful soon! If not, come talk to me, I've got other good resources to point you to if needed.
-Mary

Anonymous said...

Erin that unnamed sister better not be you. I'll send Rick after you if it is! (j/k) I hate the pill, and thanks to our insurance, that is the only option I have, (I guess I could just abstain, but who wants to do that?) Since we had Michelle, I've been on 3 different kinds of pills, but they have each made me so sick. Now I only take them during my ovulation week. I think I'm ok, until June/July, my fertile time. Rick has mentioned that he would like a 4th, but three is great! I keep thinking about doing something permanent, but then again I don't want to. We have always set 4 as our limit, so now it is up to me if we now have a 4th.

My question is when do you know if enough is enough? Is there a sweet feeling of peace when you reach your quota, or do you always feel like maybe there is one more? And do I really want to try praying about it, because I may get the answer I don't really want to hear. Starting over with pregnancy, and night feedings doesn't sound very fun right now.
Heather (sorry, I wrote a novel)

Batya said...

I have five. Never felt like too many, maybe not enough. But since your timing for checking out bc options may be too late, enjoy whatever and be better planned/organized in the future.