Thursday, January 27, 2005

"... and reflect on the truth that when people ask for advice they very rarely want your advice and will go ahead and do what they want to do anyway, no matter what you say. That applied in every sort of case; it was a human truth of universal application, but one which most people know little or nothing about." - Mma Ramotswe (in The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith)

Mma Ramotswe is very clever. It is true that when I ask for advice, what I really want is someone to agree with my favorite option and make me feel good about the choice I am making. So I need your advice. Nathan and I are going to a 70's party. I have to decide what to wear. I have a white "peasant blouse" that I could wear with either a skirt or flare jeans (I think this is the no risk outfit.) Or I bought a paisley dress with a wide collar that, though it fits me, is not terribly flattering, but would go great with Nathan's tan cordroy suit and wide brown tie (There is more risk here as this is obviously a vintage outfit, and maybe not so cute, but...) Any advice?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

For the the paisley dress! And post the pictures on the web. Can't wait to see ya dressed up!

Anonymous said...

I love the paisley dress idea - sounds like it will be cute with Nathan's cord suit. Dressing up 70's means you can't expect cuteness, afterall, it was the 70's. Perhaps feathering your hair and donning blue eye shadow would be a good touch. Have fun! Can't wait to see pictures!
-Mary