Friday, April 04, 2008

102 solo days

Nathan has been gone for just over 100 days.

We are nearing the halfway mark of his 7.5 month deployment. Yippee! For me, seven and a half months is terribly long. Longer than his previous deployments. But compared to my friends whose husbands will be gone for 15 months or more, 7 is easy. And I'm grateful.

Most days are fine and dandy. Some days are lonely. I'm sleeping really well, but sometimes I can't sleep and have to jump up and sneak around the house checking for bad guys.

Nathan is able to call almost daily, which is excellent. But I am easily swayed by his mood. He is a generally happy guy, but his first month over there must have been very stressful, and he was grouchy on the phone. That made me really tense. He seems happier now, which makes me feel more confident and peaceful.

Keeping things normal at home is one way I cope with Nathan being gone. I think that is good for the kids, too. Same dinner chore chart. Regular bed times. Friday movie night. Stories before lights out. Weekly trips to the library. Family Home Evenings complete with drumming along to "Book of Mormon Stories" and playing zoom-zoom-errk. All little traditions in our home that keep us going.

And time is going. Faster than I thought possible back in December. Next thing you know school will be out...

We miss you, Nathan! Stay safe!

9 comments:

Battleship Bettie - Proud Navy Wife said...

That is great that he gets to call everyday. Mine calls as often as he can, but it's not everyday this deloyment, this ship seems to only have two phones for the entire ship to use. although I know some girls that don't get but one call a month, but their hubbys are sort of dirtbaggy so I'm not shocked by it. LOL...

COngrats on halfway too! I know up to that point things were flying by for us, and had continued to this point, we are sitting at about 150 days +/-. He's on a seven monther but I feel like I'm old hand at this, he's been deployed almost the entire time we've known each other... 4 times in less than 4 years. lol... the end of this one is starting to feel like it will never come.

Jrzy Army Wife said...

Trying tagged me so I tagged you.LOL

The Mrs. said...

yah for you! almost at the halfway mark! you sound like your doing great, esp. keeping stuff "normal" for the kids. and its great that you get to hear his voice.

the usmc doesnt do 15mth deployments and i dont know how those army wives handle it. but mucho respect to you for doing 7.5 solo. thats still a big chunk of time to be mom and dad. hats off to you.

Donna Boucher said...

Dear Wendy,
You are a champ! I could tell this deployment has been a hard one....

God Bless...and you're half way there!

Mary said...

I ditto Donna - you are a champ! I think you guys have such a great attitude about Nate being away. I think you are amazing for doing so well handling being a single parent and keeping a good outlook! I'm sure being in Hawaii has it's benefits - if Randy was deployed, I would want to be there too!

wendy said...

Bettie - hurray for the end! How exciting.

Thanks Jrzy!

Trying - the AF generally deploys for 6 months, too. I am in awe of my Army Wife friends.

Donna - your sweet blog is like an old deployment buddy. Thanks for your kind words!

Mary - I had a dream last night that we were PCSing to Maryland! It is nice to have the beach and sun for once during a deployment. In the past Nathan has been the one in tropical paradise while I'm shovelling snow. But it would be nice to be able to drive over to visit mom and dad...

Butterfly Wife said...

Time is an odd thing during deployment. It flies by in some ways and creeps by in others. Odd. So he'll be home before you know it but it may take a while to get there. ;-)

Keeping a routine sounds like a good plan. Take care.

Tori :) said...

Bless your heart Wendy. You're awesome. Thank you!

Please thank Nathan for his service and sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to feel like you have hit some sort of milestone? We are 11 months into our 15 months and I can see the end in sight. Having as many kids as we do helps the time fly by. No time to sit and be weepy for too long! I don't know how anyone copes when they don't stick to a regular schedule. If you let all things fly out the window, the kids know that something is wrong. Any kind of normalcy you can keep going helps everybody. Certainly there is more to juggle with just one parent, so adjustments have to be made and priorities have to be set. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job!!!!

I couldn't help but chuckle to know that you also get up in the middle of the night just to make sure all is well, just like I do. I am fortunate to be able to talk with Joe everyday as well, but there's nothing like the security of having your hubby lying next to you at night. Hang in there! Nathan will be home safe and sound before you know it!