Saturday, August 09, 2008

Home Again



John and Dad


Sydney and Dad


Dad and Emily


Hannah and Dad


What a great week!

The night Nathan came home seemed rather unreal. We tidied up the house, hung the welcome home banner, and I started a movie for the kids while I headed to the airport. Nathan wasn't coming home with a big group. His group came home a few days earlier, so it was just him. No big ceremony or parade. Perfect!

There was construction at the airport, and I missed the parking garage and ended up leaving the airport and having to drive into Honolulu to turn around! I was plenty early, so I just kept calm and tried again.

At the airport I went to the USO and filled out paperwork so that I could pass through security and go to the arrival gate to meet Nathan. Then I had to hike from one end of the airport to the other (twice) in my cute red sandals. That airport is bigger than it looks.

Just after I found gate 22, an airplane pulled in. They were about a half hour early. Yipes! I saw a few other families waiting for their dads, too. I felt like I had electricity in my skin while I was standing there, waiting.

It was fun to see Nathan before he saw me. He is so cute!

We broke the "no PDA in uniform" rule! Then found his baggage, said "Hi" to his commander who had come to welcome him home, and headed home.

The kids hung a Happy Birthday banner for Nathan, and taped paper over the door for him to break through, since he missed his birthday while he was gone. That was totally fun. John thought that was great.

It is so sweet to have our family together again.

Welcome Home, Nathan!

27 comments:

Jody said...

This is wonderful!

Your hubbies eyes are just sparkling all the photos!!!

tootie said...

CONGRATS!! I'm so happy for you and your family. Enjoy your time together!

orchard_girl said...

I am so happy Nate is home. Your pictures brought tears to my eyes. Love you guys!
Heather

Mary said...

Welcome home Nate! Those pictures just choke me up - especially the one with Nathan and John. If there is any time to break the no PDA in uniform rule, that would be the time to do it! How fun!

Sassy Lu said...

Isn't it awesome to be back together again? I'm so happy for your family! I'm sure it was nice to have a little alone time together before you rushed back home to the kids. I love the birthday door suprise and your welcome home sign is GREAT! Nathan must have a great commander. I don't think Joe has ever had one that would take the time to come and welcome him home if it was just him. That's awesome! I'm sure you will enjoy every bit of your time together!

Ann M. said...

Such great pictures! I am so happy for your family :)

A Soldier's Wife said...

Wendy,

I am so happy for you and your family and thankful for your husband's safe return and a great welcome home!!!

Enjoy your reunion!!!

~ASW

Steph said...

I'm totally crying here. I'm so happy for your family!
That picture of Nate and John is amazing, you can absolutely SEE the father's love in his face.
Hooray for you!

Deanne said...

Can't tell you how happy I am to hear that your family is back together again!!! Oh, and the pic of John with his dad....I teared up! :)

Susan said...

Welcome Home Nate!
So very happy for you all.

That is the nicest welcome home banner that I've seen!

Your favorite sister said...

Oh I am so, so happy for you! I hope you have had a wonderful reunion and have been able to have lots of family time. Welcome Home Nathan and thanks for serving our country!

Keri said...

Hooray! Congrats on having him home!

Unknown said...

welcome home Nate!!!!! We are so happy for you all! love you guys! p.s. were is the pictures of you and nate?

Stewart Family said...

Welcome home Nate!!! Glad that is behind you!!!! Enjoy being home.

Anonymous said...

I love your family! I'm so excited that Nate is finally home! WELCOME HOME NATE! Take a minute to get settled, but only a minute! We're on our way and sooooo ready to play!! Be there in 2 1/2 weeks!!

Don said...

Thanks to you, Wendy, Nate, and family, for the sacrifices you've made on all our behalf. And Welcome Home, Nate!

Rachelle Jones said...

wootttt!!

Welcome home! Enjoy one another...you are about the cutest bunch ever!

Suzanne said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. The pics are just precious. Wendy, I'm so, so happy that your hubby is home and you can be together as a family again! :)

Amanda said...

Ditto to Suzanne's comment!

I am so happy that you guys are all together again! What a joyful reunion. :)

Butterfly Wife said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so happy for you and your family.

I got a little teary eyed too. In a good way. :D

Mary Peterson said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you all are together again! I saw your post and cried! I love the pictures!!!

Super Happy Girl said...

Wooo hooo! YAY!
Enjoy your happy reunion!

Jrzy Army Wife said...

I know I'm a little behind but YAYAYAYYAYAYAY! Congrats! SOOOO Excited for you!

Unknown said...

That is awesome. I am happy for you, too. I can see you haven't been posting for a while. I don't blame you. Have fun!

Fermina Daza said...

Yay for homecomings!!! I am so thrilled for you!

Anonymous said...

Okay, tropical honeymoon/family reunion time is over...we want pictures! Miss you all. Claw

Tori :) said...

I totally cried reading this! YAY!!