Thursday, September 13, 2007

It's Aloha Friday


Time to relax. And nothing says Hawaii like relaxing in a hammock.

I think a hammock is actually a required item when living in Hawaii. We have a camping hammock.


Emily and Tahina


We took it to Girls Camp this summer.


John with Talea


It fit perfectly between two palm trees, and was a great place to swing! I had hoped to bring it home and put it right to good use in our yard. But it is rolled up, forgotten and abandoned, on the floor of my laundry room, as none of our trees are close enough together to hang it.

So, I'm dreaming of something like this:



(wish we had that view, too...)

The Tiki Hut NEEDS a hammock. Really. Can it be a Tiki Hut without a hammock? The kids like to play outside each evening, but I'd rather lay on the couch. With a hammock I could get all my relaxing done while they run around! Perfect!

But (and I do mean butt) hammocks do sometimes have the embarrassing problem of allowing all your soft parts to mush through. That's something to think about, you know.

**************

While you ponder that fascinating bit of diamond shaped squish, I have two movie recommendations for your Aloha Friday Movie Night:

Last weekend we checked out Sweet Land. It was the grown-up movie in our movie night selection, and by the time it started all the youngsters were snoozing. It is a totally SWEET movie. Seriously. One of the best movies I've seen all year. It had all my favorite things - the prairie, hard work("farming and banking don't mix"), accents, angst, and love. Loved it when they held hands. Beautiful. and rated just PG. It is a little slow and had kind of a confusing beginning. I hope you love it as much as we did.

And tonight I am going to watch Dear Frankie for the 4th time this week. It is the story of a young deaf boy who writes letters to his absent father. His mother has set up a PO box to collect his letters and answers them as if she is his "da" who is a sailor. Frankie tracks his dad's ship as it travels the world. Things get tricky when the ship his dad is supposedly on comes to port in Frankie's home town, and Frankie's Mammy has to find a substitute dad to act the part. Again, another sweet story. Gerard Butler is hawt! I wonder what else he is in... Some language near the end of the movie, and the Scottish accents are really strong. I had to turn on the subtitles to catch all the words.

What's on your queue?

10 comments:

nikko said...

Thanks for the movie recommendations. It's always nice to hear about good, clean movies.

Ah... a hammock. I could get used to one of those. I'm like you, when the kids are outside, I want to be out there to supervise, but most of the time I end up on a patio chair with a magazine. :o)

Mary said...

I can't believe you wrote the word "hawt." :)

You should get a Brazilian hammock like these. Every Brazilian seems to have a hammock on their porch or deck. They don't mess with mesh and go with a nice strong woven material that makes the hammocks comfy and colorful! We have a beautiful hammock that Randy brought home from his mission just sitting at the bottom of my hope chest waiting for the day it can be put to use!

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/brazilian-hammocks/1030+1063+4294924739.cfm

Super Happy Girl said...

Aloha!
I want to be in that very first hammock. Right.Now.
We used hammocks all the time when I was little (coastal Mexican town). I'm liking Mary's link: that Caliente Brazilian Hammock is kewl.

I loved Dear Frankie! And I have just added Sweet Land to my queue.

Deanne said...

I am anxiously awaiting Jane Eyre (masterpiece theatre version). I recently noticed that pbs was airing it and I am interested in seeing this new version. Also in our queue is another masterpiece theatre flick, Bertie and Elizabeth, as well as Mansfield Park. I have a few others I'm looking forward to watching....but you'll just have to wait for my movie review next month! :)

I will have to check out the movies you mentioned. I'm always on the lookout for new movies to add to our queue! Thanks!

Marine Wife said...

I've watched both these movies recently. In fact, I saw "Sweet Land" last night! And I LOVED it, too. The longing and growing love between the couple was palpable but you never see more than a hand-hold and that is almost at the end! Just when I thought they didn't make movies like this anymore.
I also thought I was the only person in this country to see either of these films, let alone both!

Lemon Stand said...

You're bringing a hammock with you to Fiji, aren't you? What are the chances that you could bring me one? By the way... I am SOOOOOOO borrowing that picture!!!! :o)

Man, I seriously have to get me one of those! (Of course, in New England I won't be able to use it outside as much as you will, but hey, I can set up a retreat in the basement! I am sooo all over it.)

Susan said...

Thanks for the movie suggestion...

I've fallen out of one too many hammocks... so I have no advice on that one, but the brazillian ones look great!

Gina said...

Thanks for the diamond visual... very nice. I have always wanted a hammock, but we've always had the same problem... no two trees that close together.

I appreciate the movie picks. I haven't heard of either one... I am going to check them out!

P.S. Got your package today and yours will be off this weekend. I meant to send it all week, but the sickling has kept me away from public places.

wendy said...

Gina - I'm so glad it arrived safe and sound! I hope Liam likes it!

Triplee - I hadn't considered the falling out factor - that could be dangerous...

Lemon Stand - I've been practicing my Maori war yells - I'm ready for Figi whenever you are!

Marine Wife - I was completely suprised by the movie Sweet Life - I really think the tension was heightened by the non-touching.

Deanne - Jane Eyre sound great - I'm adding that to my queue!

NCS - as I was looking for Hammock info I was interested to read that they were invented in South America! Brilliant!

Mary - you made me blush! Those hammocks are lovely, but I think I'm going to have to go with white so I can easily see any spiders or centipedes or cockroaches (oh my!)

Ann M. said...

I don't really have much of a yard...or any trees...but now I really want a hammock too! Do you think my neighbors would be mad if I put it in the front?