Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year

I need to get to bed, but I can't sleep. A week of late night movies has set my little inner clock to stay-up-late/sleep-in mode. So I guess I'll spend a little time here and list my goals for this year. I'll still have to get up early. Maybe I will get a nap tomorrow.

My dad always liked to teach a Family Home Evening lesson about goal setting at the beginning of each year. He would give each of us a paper and we would write goals for the year. I thought of Dad as I was gathering paper and pens for our FHE tonight.

This month in The Friend Magazine, I found this Goal Planning page. I printed off a copy for each of us and we wrote down some goals for the year. It's hard to read here, but the sections are: Home and Family, Interests and Hobbies, Spiritual, Physical, Friends, and School.


Goal Planning Page

The girls were really thoughtful as they wrote down some ideas. Sydney wrote in the Friends section that she would let her friends choose the game that they want to play. Hannah says she wants to learn to figure skate...and to say her prayers morning and night. Emily says she will Love Mom!

For myself - I want to continue reading the Book of Mormon daily. (did I mention that our family finished reading the whole book on Dec. 23rd? Well we did, and now we are going to start over. But we are just reading one chapter a day.)

- Be a more-fun-mom. (spend less time planning activities for others, and more time planning everyday fun with our family.)

- knit a pair of socks. I have yarn. I can do it. I should have been knitting while watching movie after movie last week!

- play the violin in church. (I had this great idea in the fall to get a quartet together to play for our ward for Christmas. There are 2 viola-ists and 1 cellist in our ward. I talked to everyone. I found music. But then our Primary Program took over and I didn't follow through. I think this could be a really neat thing for me and for those other aging highschool musicians. So maybe I can find an Easter piece, or some pioneer songs and really get the show on the road this time.)

- eat less move more, blah blah blah.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I like the term "aging high musicians". Fun!

Anonymous said...

The goal setting page is great. We talked about our goals for this year as we traveled back from Oregon. One thing we want to do is FINISH our projects from last year - and FINISH any jobs we start this year.

Your dad finished reading the B of M in November, I finished as we were driving to Hood River on December 29th. One goal for me is to read it again this year - and take time to do some underlining and some pondering. I did enjoy it this time around though. I could picture in my mind the things I read. Love, Mom