Monday, August 27, 2007

Eclipse

Anyone else staying up to see the Lunar Eclipse tonight?

A Lunar Eclipse occurs at a full moon, when the Earth is between the sun and the moon. The shadow of the Earth covers the moon, making the moon appear RED. (thanks wikipedia)


Here in Hawaii, the eclipse will happen between 10:51pm and 2:24am with the total eclipse happening from 11:52pm-1:22am. We are very close to the optimum viewing area of French Polyneasia.

The moon should be right about over head for the big show.

If the trees near our home get in the way, I may go over to a nearby field to watch.

Any special tips for taking photos of the moon? Oh shoot. The tripod is still at my mom and dad's house. I may have to make a Walmart run for this....and I'm also going to have to quick find out how to set up the little delay thing on the camera...and change the exposure...and...

PS - a lunar eclipse is a leasurly event. So I should have time to play with the camera settings.

PPS - I just read here, that the minimum focal length (zoom) for a good moon shot is 300mm. Our biggest lens does just 200mm, which would give us a 1.8 mm sized image of the moon. Waa.

PPS - I could try to make a star trail photo like this, but I don't know how to lock open the shutter, and I still don't have that tripod.

ppps - Oh well, the eclipse should be interesting even if I can't get a photo.

PPPPS - curses, foiled again. I forgot that we live in a tropical rain forest. the moon is hiding behind cloud cover. big suprise. But I could see some stars, so maybe the moon will peek out a little later.

2 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Hi! I’m new to your blog! I love this post and will share it with my 11 year old.

She had an accident with her hand on Sunday... and the meds she is on knocks her out cold. I couldn’t wake her to see this!

I can’t wait to show her these pictures!! We are studying Apologias Astronomy right now. We are in week 2.

Thanks again!

Lisawa~

wendy said...

Hi Lisawa - my 13 year old told me to wake her up, but when I tried she just started talking in her sleep... it was really fun to share it with my 9 year old!