Sunday, March 19, 2006

Snow Day

The weather forecasters were right. We have big snow. A few inches last night, and more snow all day. I wondered all day yesterday whether I should find a sub for a Nursery class or not. I decided to wait.

This morning we dressed for church and I worked on my Singing Time stuff. I decided it would be best to plan to go to church, then if it was cancelled I would be happily surprised. At 8am I started getting calls from teachers that they wouldn't be coming in to town, and at about 11am the Bishop called to say that we would just have Sacrament Meeting. About a half hour later the Bishop called again and said that because of the No-Travel Advisory he had decided to cancel church all together. Yippee!

We have had a fun day doing Home School Primary. First we worked on memorizing this month's Scripture:
Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto His servants the prophets.

Then we played an Apostle matching game and learned a little more about our Apostles today.

For singing time we learned the Jonah verse of Follow the Prophet:
Jonah was a prophet, Tried to run away.
But he later learned To listen and obey.
When we really try, the Lord won't let us fail.
That's what Jonah learned deep down inside the whale.


Sydney dressed up as our Prophet, and did the actions to help us remember the words (running away, listening) During the "whale" line she put on the shark towel - it was a crack up to see her down inside the whale. Hannah played for us on the piano - (I forgot to mention that when the Bishop called to let us know about Sacrament-Meeting-Only he asked if Hannah knew any hymns - I guess the only two pianists in our ward were not planning to come and he was a little desperate. She is going to work on learning one, just in case they need her again.)

Sundays are often a little stressful for me. When we get home from church at 4:45pm I am usually ready to crawl right into bed. It has been nice to just focus on our children and not worry about finding a last minute CTR5 Substitute or making sure the toys have been delivered to the nurseries. I could get used to this!

I hope your Sabbath was as restful as ours.

2 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

That's a cool link to the apostle match game! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

That is a great snow-day Sunday activity! I can just see Syd being a silly "prophet"