Thursday, April 28, 2005

For our date this weekend we watched to movie Return To Me. It is so cute. And a little weird. No serious making out - it might pass the dad test. There are some funny old men in it, so dad might even like it. What have you been watching lately? There are a few coming out on video that I want to see - National Treasure, Because of Winn Dixie, ???

Do you rent movies every weekend? I think we used to rent movies every weekend, or a lot of weekends, but we got out of the habit in Abilene. The library had lots and lots of new movies, and then I got mad at the base movie lady one time, so I couldn't go back there.

Want to hear that story? I just remembered it. Movies were due in by noon. One day I took my movie into the store at about 12:05pm. I took it inside (with all the kids in tow) instead of dropping it into the box, because I wanted to know if I would have to pay a late fee. As I turned it in I asked about the late fee. When she said that I would be charged for another day, I said that I would like to keep the movie and watch it again, since I was paying for it again. She said that it was too late. I said (gosh I hope my voice wasn't shaky) that if I had to pay for another day, then I wanted to have the movie, please. When she said, it was too late, I said that I would like to speak to the manager. It's not like this was a huge movie store, it was a little convenience store with soda, cigarettes, and a teeny movie section. She said that the manager wasn't there, blah blah blah. I think I must have been pregnant and grouchy, I hope I have some kind of good excuse for my rudeness. So I said in as nice a voice as I could manage: "Thank you for your help. Sorry for the trouble. Have a nice day." and I left, 'cuz really I'm a chicken and I wouldn't know what to say to a manager. I walked out to the van, and buckled in the kids. When I turned around, the lady was right behind me. She again told me that I had already given her the movie and that she could not give it back. I said - that's fine. I'm fine. Later I found out that my friend was getting out of her car as I was talking to the lady and heard the conversation. Base living stinks. I'm sure she thought I was crazy. Shortly after this I had to take a stand at the checkout counter of the BX in order to get the half-off-the-clearance-price, price on a game. I am so mean. Watch out check-out people.

We are not members of a movie rental place, and mooching off of our neighbors is making me feel guilty. I am trying to decide if I want to join Blockbuster or one of those online rental places. Going into a movie rental place with all the kids makes me sweat, but would I remember to mail off a movie and order a new one? We are not really a movie buying family, but we have bought more in the last year then in the whole rest of our marriage. Odd.

When I opened up blogger I thought I had nothing to write about. HA!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story was funny! I can relate.
Because of Winn Dixie is a good movie. We read the book at school and then took a field trip to see the movie. Great! Mom

Anonymous said...

We don't rent movies and I'll tell you why in a minute. Our friend Jason, who rents our basement, has a dvd collection of over 500. Seriously, he has a problem, but it is handy for us! We've seen a lot of his movies, but they are mostly "boy" shows with more action scenes than sweet romances like "Return to Me." So, I get girl movies now and then from our library and that is enough to keep me satisfied.

Your story of confronting the sales person is aggrivating and yet familiar to me. I haven't had one of those "conversations" in a long time, but in standing up for myself in the past, I would always come away all shaky and feeling stupid. Waha!

Donna Boucher said...

I like return to me...yes...it was the old people...cute :o)

We have been renting a lot lately.
This weekend Spanglish, Bridget Jones 2 and Spongebob again for KAtie. Shocking huh?

I would have wanted to yell,
"Give me my movie back!!!!"

That is insane!
We have a very nice little rental store in town...it is right next to a Subway so it smells just like sandwiches...which is kinda icky...but there is just the nicest boy who works there...he puts post-it-notes on my movies so I know when to return them :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy, I love customers like that! Ok, I don't because I turn into a shakey check-out person. But it has taught me to stand up for myself at other stores. But I've also noticed that when you are really nice, and talk to the manager about problems, at least with my manager, you can usually get your way.

Heather

wendy said...

Wow! look at all the comments. Maybe I should write about embarrassing things that I have done more often!

I did not get to take home the movie, and we still had to pay the late fee. Just thought you might want to know. Hope it was a good movie.

Donna - the Blockbuster near here is right next to Subway, too. Odd.

By the way, Heather, I went to Safeway this morning. They have the best bread! I use mom's old phone number (and sometimes Hana's) for the club card prices. They never know what to call me! Is that against the rules?

Anonymous said...

Haha! Wendy, I use our Monterey phone number when I go to Safeway here. I suppose I could get a new "membership" but then I would have to enter a different number. I do love their bread, yum!

Anonymous said...

Why do we have the shakey voice? Whenever I speak out at something like that, or even in a non-angered-public-speaking event I have the stinkin shakey voice. One time in high school I sat down after a presentation and the boy next to me said "I love when you give presentations, you always sound like you are going to cry" Waaa
Anna

Anonymous said...

I can't believe all you girls have the shakey voice syndrome. I hated to get up to speak in high school - always waited to be last because my voice always sounded like I was going to cry.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I have no problem with people using a phone number that doesn't belong to them. In fact, if their number doesn't come up, I ask if they know any of their friend's numbers. I can't believe you can get Hana's number to work, I can't get hers to go through.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I love that we all suffer shaky voice syndrome. I don't feel so alone knowing you all have it too! haha! And it does sound like I'm about to cry, which is frustrating! Anna, that story was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Heather & Wendy, your dad told me about going to a meeting last year in Washington State and stopping at Safeway to get a garbage bag of treats. They wouldn't take our old phone number, they wouldn't take Heather's phone number, the lady was ornery and said "NONE of those numbers work - so you'll have to pay the higher price." So since it was about $4.00 more that way, he said "Forget it" and walked off and left the things there. He didn't get the shakey voice syndrome. Sorry Heather.