Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Real Life

Nathan has been home from Iraq now for just over a month. And it has been mostly smooth sailing so far (knock on wood). There was some initial angst, but that was due to some overachievers in the Flight Records office, not me!

We've all had to make some adjustments - Nathan was a little unprepared for the afternoon rush around here, and the laundry staged a coup. But things seem to be slipping back into real life and it feels good.

Yesterday was my day to drive Hannah and co. to seminary at 5:45am. I jogged while they were studying and it was nice to have a moment to reflect on the last few weeks. It is kind of weird to be in that place that I was waiting waiting waiting for, you know? I have spent most of the last year worrying and waiting and worrying some more and it feels great to have broken out of that cycle. But it is so easy to start taking regular life for granted. So I spent a little time thinking about me and taking stock of whether or not I'm doing all those things that I said I would do when Nathan got home.

On my way back home after dropping the kids off at the high school, I drove past our elementary school, and saw Nathan and the kids walking down the sidewalk with backpacks on and hair slicked down.

It was a beautiful morning!

=

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

"the laundry staged a coup" LOL! I think this happens at my house too... :D

How nice that you had a little quiet time to ponder while jogging this morning. I wish I took more advantage of those quiet morning hours.

Yay for Nathan being home! :)

tootie said...

So glad you can settle back into a routine!

And I can definitely relate to the quiet time of running/jogging. It's nice to have that time to reflect!

nikko said...

I love getting up early and jogging/walking by myself. When I do it it's my favorite part of the day. :o) Glad that you're enjoying your normal life.

Mary said...

Ah, the quiet jogging/walking morning. Didn't I just post about that? Only difference is that I have only done it once in the past forever...

I'm glad you guys have had a good readjustment phase. Is Nathan doing all right?

Sassy Lu said...

I completely understand about taking life for granted. Today was our first day of "normal" since my husband got back (hubby at work, kids at school, no visitors, etc.). How great that you are able to have that alone time to ponder as you run!

Deanne said...

You expected some hiccups in getting back to 'normal', right? Sounds like things are going pretty well....and I'm so glad for all of you!

.... said...

I've been thinking of you lately..wondering how things have been for your family, now that life is settling back into some sort of assemblance. I imagine what a wonderful feeling it was to see your husband with the kids, so safe, so normal....I still get that way, funny how now, I just can't take anything for granted...I keep waiting for the rug to yanked out from under us....even though I know it wont...

I am really happy for you, for your husband, for your children...

How is high school going for your oldest? Is she liking it? I hope so.... I enjoyed the photos you have posted of your family since your reunion...everyone seems so at peace, what a great time for everyone. God Bless.

~asw

Amanda said...

Wendy, I am so glad that your family is together again and that things seem to be settling back to normal. How nice that you were able to have some nice, quiet reflection time. I'll bet if I got up at 5:45 I might actually enjoy it, but I also enjoy sleeping too much to try. ;)

It must have been such a nice feeling to see Nathan walking the kids to school while you were able to enjoy your peaceful morning. :)

ps. I've missed you lately! I've been thinking about you a lot with my new calling. I am so glad for the chance that I had to serve with you in Primary and for all that you taught me!! You are an awesome person and I am so grateful to know you! I want to be just like you when I grow up!