Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I think I have a job. I make these little hooded towels and give them out to friends at babyshowers. Now a little business in town is wanting to carry them. She has asked about them a couple of times, and now I need to make some samples and take them to see what she is interested in ordering. She is wanting a boy towel, and girl towel, and the ducky towel.

So I need some business advice. Do I need a business license, or should I wait and see if I actually earn money? I sold these towels about 10 years ago when we lived in CA and at that time I had a business license and claimed income and expenses on our taxes, but I don't think I will be selling very many between now and the end of the year. I'm thinking there is a tax rule that says if your business doesn't make more than like $400 than you don't have to claim it. But I don't know.

I need a name for my little towel business. When I sold them before I called them Wild Things - but that sounds a little risque! Any ideas?

Also, I need to decide on a price. Do you think $24 retail is too much. Let's be honest - I wouldn't buy a hooded towel for that much, but this is a rather high priced shop, and that would be just $12 wholesale. I spend $6-7 / towel so I would be making around $5 each. I don't really want to go lower, but maybe $20 retail is more reasonable than $24.

I would like to appear professional and have an order form and little tags on the towels. I will make a blue shark for the boy towel and a white-with-pink bunny as the girl towel. Do you think I should also have a gift basket with a towel and soaps for her to see?

I don't have any pictures of the towels, but I will be sewing tonight and tomorrow and then I will post some. She is also interested in Nathan's baby rattles. This is kind of fun!

7 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Good for you!

I have two such towels made for my boys over 20 years ago :o)The hood finally fell off of one of them last month!

I wish I could think of a clever name for you...I will think about it :o)

I would ask the store owner what they thought of the price $24. I completely understand how difficult it is to price homemade items :o)

I just saw the tail end of the John C. interview. He is so cute!

Rent Must Love Dogs when it comes out on dvd...John acts much like Lloyd in that movie.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I'm so proud of you! I hope it's okay I'm making a copy of your duck towel for a baby shower this week :)

As for a name, something with "critters" comes to mind, like Cozy Critters or Tickle-me Towels. I'm a dork, don't listen to me...

For pricing, I looked up what others are selling hooded towels for and the $24 each seems about right. Here are some links:

http://www.polliwogkids.com/
http://shopping.yahoo.com/b:Hooded%20Towels:21273046
http://www.geniusbabies.com/hoodduccritt.html
http://www.towelbuddies.com/catalog.php?category=Hooded+Towels

Anyway, those might give an idea of what's out there. It's cool they are interested in Nate's baby rattles too. They turn out beautifully.

I think you should also try to somehow show your sherriff bibs too. Very cute!

Good luck!

wendy said...

Donna - The hooded towels I made for Hannah have lasted a suprisingly long time. We have several that are about 10 years old and still look good - but it is a bummer when the shark towel is the only clean towel under the cupboard! I can't wait until Must Love Dogs comes out on video.

Mary - Thanks for all the links, there are some cute towels out there. But I think my duck is cuter! I forgot about my ladybug towel. I could do that for the girl towel, but it is my least favorite to sew. I still don't know about the price - I think maybe $20 is better.

Anonymous said...

Your duck is definitely the cutest!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I think the $24 is a good price. Don't sell yourself short. Most people will pay a lot more for things than I am usually willing to - I guess I am basically cheap - but people will pay and not bat an eye - especially for cute baby things. Yours are so nicely made too! A critter name sounds cute. Good luck with your venture. Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I think a gift basket is a good idea too. I know you could find a yellow rubber ducky to include in the basket. Mom

Batya said...

Never underprice, your time is valuable.
"Snuggy Towels"
Good luck! and check with a real accountant!