Thursday, February 10, 2005

John Talks

I cannot remember when the girls started talking, but I have had a feeling that John should be saying more words. He has his 18 month check up later this month, and it has made me just a little worried that he does not say very many words. It made me think of Cushla and Her Books, by Dorothy Butler.

So for the last couple of weeks I have been making sure to read John 5-10 books a day. Let me just say that I do read to that poor little guy, but not as often as I should. And certainly not as often as I read to Hannah. At first he would sit for maybe 1 book and only if it was quick and catchy. Sometimes he would not let me turn the pages. He would just get up and wander away part way through a story. But now he really likes to read with me. He gets all cosy in my lap, and waits for me to get more books.

Today I pulled out Freight Train and John said "Choo Choo" and kept saying it. Even when I was done reading he pulled out the train book, and said "choo-choo" while turning the pages. As we were getting ready to go out this morning I asked him to get his boots. John went right to his room, got a boot and brought it to me saying "Boot!" He was saying a few things before (and choo-choo and boot are not his only words, just new ones) but I think he is talking even more now.

John's Favorite Books:
The Spooky Old Tree
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See
Freight Train
I've Been Working on the Railroad
The Going to Bed Book
Mother Goose
Good Night Moon
Where's Spot
5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

1 comment:

Batya said...

He's doing fine. It's amazing how different they all are. I've always said that I'm glad that my second wasn't first, or I would have thought that the rest were retarded. She spoke so early.
Speech therapists suggest fewer books repeated more often, for reinforcement of vocabulary.