Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Running Check In

I think I did okay last week with my running. I went every day and ran about 10 minute miles. Really, I think I can run just under 10 minute miles, unless Sam the dog is with me. He always has to pee in the grass near the soccer park, and if I don't have a bag with me, then he always has to go #2 somewhere along our route. So I have to watch out for an empty field, and tug at his collar to convince him not to go in someone's nice grass. All those potty breaks add up and slow me down. It is not all bad, though, sometimes I am terribly glad to be able to stop and just stand around.

I was really proud of myself for being able to go 4 whole miles, and then 5 miles what really incredible. But I had a little trouble on Saturday's 5 mile run. I started to feel a hot spot on my arch on mile #4. My arch felt hotter and hotter, and finally I stopped and took off my shoe. I had a little blister. Ouch. I still had to go a mile to get back home. I walked a while, but it still hurt, so I went ahead and jogged on home. The blister was not too bad, but it was a little tender all weekend. I could not wear my favorite black sandles to church because they rubbed my owie.

I did not run Sunday, or yesterday, to let the blister heal. It looks like pink tough skin, now. I ran my 3 miles today, and it didn't feel too bad. (Sam came with me) I tried using mole skin over the sore spot, but my feet are sweaty and the moleskin slipped down. Nathan recommended that I put the mole skin over the part of my shoe that is causing the rubbing. I will see tomorrow if that helps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the 5-mile run, but too bad about your poor foot! Several months ago, I bought a $3 pedometer from Walmart. I like the instant gratification of being able to see more or less how far I've gone in each walk or jog. I've been able to go farther and farther, but only recently did I start writing down the miles on my calendar after a jog (I haven't recorded walks, but my farthest jog was 3 miles, go me!). It is nice our calendar is on the frige so I can see how far I just ran and then I try to convince myself not to eat what I was going to get out of the fridge :) I hope your foot heals soon. Maybe it is time for new sneakers?

Batya said...

I'm impressed.
You'll need lots of shoes and socks and changes.