Saturday, February 06, 2010

The importance of warm socks

It is cold here.

We have had lots of snow and cold temperatures! Earlier this week we had a rare day with temperatures in the 40's and it almost felt warm. But not really. I washed my car that day at one of those drive in and spray down your car places and thought my fingers might fall off.

I wanted to drive through a car wash but I couldn't find one. Since then I have seen two, so I know where to go next time the temperatures get above freezing. There is something about driving on melted snowy roads that makes your car just filthy.

I have been trying to exercise daily and it is a challenge. Did I mention it's cold. Yesterday I wore 3 shirts and a coat with a fleece lining. My arms were not cold but my toes were.

I have been wearing two pairs of socks everyday. And everyday my toes just about freeze off while I am waiting for Emily and John to go into their classes.

I think I need to find some kind of heavy duty wool socks. Except wool makes me itchy.

Also, I am prone to blisters on my feet when jogging, so I have invested in a few pairs of super nice running socks that never give me blisters. Unfortunately they are all ankle socks. I don't want my ankles to freeze so I am running in my usual two pairs of tea length socks. I'm pretty sure that's not the official name for the length of my socks. They are not knee socks, they are not ankle socks, they are halfway in between - tea length!..

They keep my ankles warmer, but the seam has a tendancy to roll under my toes and irritate me. Grrrr. Frozen, irritated toes are not happy toes.

On a brighter note, there is a sweet little path through Rapid City that I just love. I used to jog on it occasionally when we last lived here. This time we are living even closer to the path, so I have been jogging or walking on it almost every day. The city keeps it nicely cleared, and it is just the place for a bit of exercise.

Yesterday morning we woke to a couple inches of snow. After I drove the kids to school, I decided to see if I could walk on the path and I was happy to find that someone had plowed it. It was in better shape than the roads! I saw several others out walking as well. One older gentleman was out feeding ducks. Fun!

6 comments:

Alisha Lee said...

I got cold just reading your article...brrrr. Thanks for reminding me that 40 is warm :) I can only imagine the temperature shock you must be going through. Hang in there and try to stay warm!

Unknown said...

that is awesome that the path is kept clear even with snow on the ground- how nice!
Hope your toes survive the winter in SD

Mom said...

I typed "dressing for cold weather" into Google and found a lot of sites that give good information. For your feet it says to wear a good pair of socks - not cotton - and then a second pair, maybe wool. Your shoes shouldn't be too tight. (How do you wear 2 pairs of socks and not have tight shoes?) Anyway, might be worth a look. I'm sorry it is so cold there.

Anonymous said...

yes, living in snowy places makes ones vehicle dirty. I remember that. Don't miss it. I, too, used the drive-thru car wash, loved it! :)

as for your sock delima....maybe you need to get some leg warmers! I hear they've made a come back and are now considered trendy. hee hee....leg warmers! :)

Deanne
(for some reason Google won't let me log in!!) grrrr

Hyde Family said...

Oh how I've missed your blogs!!! I'm so glad you're safely in SD, but really miss Hawaii for you!! So where is your new house? Are you in town or near the base? I hope all keeps going well and the rest of winter is short!! Miss you guys!!

L McBride said...

Just caught up with your blog. Glad to see you are back in action!